Saturday, September 20, 2008

The spiciest ramen of my life

Morning=uneventful. Afternoon=uneventful. Except for around 2, when I went to take my clothes out of the dryer (yes! I'd collected enough coins for laundry!) and found the door locked. The water had been shut off or something, but I guess they didn't trust that students would read the sign and not use the washing machine. Luckily the housekeepers understood my problem and directed me to the security desk. Then the security guard had to call in another guard to mind the desk while the first guard left to unlock the laundry room. So even though my clothes could have used some more time in the dryer, I removed them rather than inserting more coins and returning to the security desk 14 minutes later with the same request.

After spreading my clothes out around the room I decided to feed the bugs and hang out by the canteen. Then...dinner! We went to the Town Centre, but took the minibus this time--and almost filled it completely! We were going to eat at a Chinese restaurant but somehow the plans changed (if only I understood Korean...) I'm assuming it was too crowded. So we split into two groups, one for Spaghetti House and another for Japanese food.

Japanese! The first place we went to looked too crowded, didn't understand English well, and didn't have large enough tables besides. Which was unfortunate, because I really wanted to see the conveyer belts with food up close. But we found another Japanese restaurant a few escalators later. I ordered "Assorted Mushroom Teppanyaki" and--wow--I had no idea mushrooms could be so astoundingly delicious. I also sampled some of my friends' foods. Some really yummy chicken (but she forgets what the meal was called). A nibble of salmon roe from someone's sushi (roe! the answer to "Fish eggs" in the crossword! because "caviar" isn't three letters long!). And...the spiciest ramen of my life. Seriously.

I mean, I'd been warned. The friend on my left tried some just before me and said, "Look at my face." It looked distressed. "When a Korean tells you it's spicy, you know it's spicy." Of course, this only piqued my curiousity. So I lifted up one noodle from the pork neck kimchi ramen...
Imagine the flavor of Tabasco sauce, only increase the spiciness level, like, a hundred-fold. And it's not the kind of spiciness that spreads and clears out your sinuses. Nope, it just hangs around in your mouth until you imagine you could cause an explosion just by breathing on some semi-flammable liquids. Actually, I think at the time I described it as a roller coaster ride. Whoosh!

I gulped down my tea. Ate some mushrooms. Then, curiously, I needed to try another noodle. I can't explain it. Then I gulped down more tea, ate more mushrooms...and another noodle. And another. But all total I couldn't have had more than five or six. And never never more than one at a time.

How much would you have to pay me to eat that whole glob of wasabi over there? ...
Oh, that's too bad, the waitress cleared it away.

No comments: