Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Hong Kong Correctional Services Museum

No, the museum didn't misspell their welcome sign. It's the name of the grocery store I needed to investigate on the way.


!
If only all grocery stores were converted from houses...
Instead of walking down aisles, you walked into shelf-lined rooms of rice or canned veggies or red bean ice cream. Oh, speaking of red beans, I tried red bean dumplings for lunch today--the microwavable kind. Not bad...but I don't think I'll buy them again.


Woo hoo! I'd wanted to visit the museum during our last trip to Stanley, but there hadn' t been enough time. It isn't one of the more popular destinations--I only knew of its existence because I frequently and intensely scour the Hong Kong Tourism Board website.


I think the people behind me were annoyed that I stood in front of the door without opening it.
But look! The hamburger bun even has sesame seeds!

On the first floor of the museum I kept hearing creepy Halloween music. I couldn't figure out its source (possibly my imagination) but it added a nice touch.


A Cat O' Nine Tails. We also saw the contraptions prisoners being caned would have to lean on, and the medical reports doctors needed to fill out before the punishment could take place.

And did you know (I didn't):
Hong Kong didn't ban corporal punishment until the early '90s.
(Of course, the museum didn't use the word "until")


The mannequin officers showing off their snazzy uniforms.


Poor guy...
There's a noose outside his cell...
(Hong Kong abolished capital punishment, but this mannequin's from before then)


During the Vietnam War, floods of refugees poured into Hong Kong. Riots broke out all the time in the camps; the refugees were scarily creative in converting garbage into weapons, shields, gasmasks (also space heaters, irons, playing cards, roulette wheels, stringed instruments...)


In Gallery 4 there were a pair of hooks with a sign that said, "Can you guess what these hooks were used for? Find out at the 1st floor staircase!"
...
Coats.


The return of Stanley Market! We didn't stay as long this time; we were basically looking for sturdier bags to replace the ones the school gave us. I couldn't find the perfect one, but at least my friend did.


Pretty building!


Yummy food!
The restaurant offered a variety of Asian and Western dishes.
I chose this Thai dish because it included genuine lychees.
Now I've seen them in person.
(they're the white fruits in between the tomatoes).

Of course, the roast duck and curry were extremely tasty too.

No comments: