Friday, September 12, 2008

Mango and glutinous rice balls in mango juice with extra mango

I had an uneventful day which can be summarized as follows: studied, ate, froze in the air conditioned classrooms for four hours.

But then...Lantern Carnival! The Hong Kong Tourism Board website mentioned different festivities that would be taking place this weekend for the Mid-Autumn Festival. The one tonight was in the Tuen Mun park, a train stop away. If we'd known the park was next to the Town Centre we could have taken a minibus. Then again, the train is 0.04 HKD cheaper. We saved 1/2 penny!



Anyway, the lanterns were pretty awesome. I'm glad I figured out the settings that turned my photos into identifiable pictures instead of blobs of light.


This fountain changed colors. Like the horse in the Wizard of Oz, except not a mammal.


Some traditional Cantonese opera!

One of my friends' friends (a former Lingnan student who'd studied abroad at her university last year) met up with us at the lantern carnival and then went with us to find dinner. We were going to eat at a place where you're brought boiling water and then raw meat and vegetables that you dunk inside, but they were sold out. So we went to a Vietnamese restaurant instead. I ordered Vietnamese sausage and shrimp with mao (the type of noodle found in pho). I did not order the Fried Edible Frog's Legs.

And afterwards we went to a popular dessert place in Hong Kong. All different fruit juices and smoothies; probably half of which contained mango in one form or another. Also on the menu were some traditional Chinese healing foods, some sort of jellied concoction served in a turtle shell. We were told they weren't tasty at all, but were supposed to be healthy if you'd been eating a lot of fast food. Anyway, besides the turtle shell stuff everything looked delicious. I actually can't remember the exact title of my dessert, but I know "mango" appeared several times. It had tiny glutinous rice balls, chopped up bits of mango, and a scoop of mango ice cream in a mango smoothie. Mmm...



This was not my dessert. This mango sampler belonged to my friend, but mine contained similar elements. You can see the mango smoothie with glutinous rice balls in the back, and the ice cream in front.

No comments: