Sunday, September 28, 2008

I go to church

Specifically, a Korean Catholic church located on the somethingth floor of a building in Central.

But first...

I learned all these banners lining the road are for National Day, celebrating the creation of the People's Republic of China.


I see more amazing views out the bus window.

I spot some cube- and pyramid-shaped watermelons.
Actually, a friend pointed them out, with the reminder that I'm probably a watermelon expert on account of studying watermelon martial arts...

At the church everyone wondered what my American friend and I were doing there, or so the Korean friends told us.

It's true, I'm neither Korean nor Catholic.

The visitors sat in a room behind the regular church-goers, connected by a doorway and a large window. We only got to enter the main area once, to place envelopes with coins in the basket. I followed everyone's lead for sitting and standing and bowing and kneeling (which I probably would have needed to do even if it'd been in English). Luckily we only knelt once, because I was in the first pew and kind of squashed against the dividing wall.

I could understand "thank you," which was useful because they said it a lot, but not useful for overall comprehension of Mass. When we asked a friend, he admitted he hadn't exactly, sort of, really been paying attention. Something about guilt.

I liked all the singing though; sometimes there were even accompanying hand motions.

For dinner we went to La Comida, a Spanish restaurant along the Mid-Levels. One day I'll ride the escalators when it's light enough for clear photographs.

I realized I'd never eaten Spanish food before, just Mexican. The Ensalada de Valencia was delicious. I didn't know vegetables could taste so good! (it might've helped that I hadn't eaten a salad in forever).


Lettuce, tomatoes (plus extras from a friend), Parmesan cheese, peppers, avocados, and oranges or clementines, I don't know which. Oh, and olives, but I gave those to a friend. I tried one, thinking maybe these olives could win me over...but no. I will never understand olives.

I also sampled my friends' squid (unless it was octopus, I forget), chicken, and Spanish rice (por supuesto!).


Here's the view looking out the restaurant.

Afterwards I thought we were going to take the ferry, but our leader (probably to return in time for the soccer game) chose the bus. Although we stopped off at the Town Centre, where we wandered through the Halloween section of Toys R Us. And more shoe stores.



When we returned we watched the second half of the soccer/football game (Manchester and Bolton). In Korean, of course.

And a shout-out to Grandma! :)

No comments: