Monday, September 22, 2008

Repulse Bay and Stanley

Near disaster!

Yesterday I forgot my memory card in my laptop and feared an entire day's worth of memories would go unrecorded. Then! I remembered I had an extra one! True, it couldn't hold hundreds and hundreds...but I managed to contain my photo-taking frenzy (with help from numerous "No Photo" signs).


After leaving Hong Kong station we needed to take a bus (there were several options: 6, 6A, 6X, some other number with a 6...) to Repulse Bay. I liked the bus ride, but nearly every time I tried photographing the view out the window a cluster of trees would interfere. Turns out the window was dirty anyway.

One of the latest editions to my collection.


The Pacific Ocean, or something like it.

We got of at a stop that looked right, but we weren't sure until we saw the beach. And wriggled our toes in the sand...it felt absolutely lovely. For about twenty seconds. Then the bottoms of our feet started burning and we ran to the water.

No, I don't know this child.
But if I'd worn a swimsuit I'd have done the same thing.





After walking along the beach for a bit and slurping 7-Eleven Slurpees we hopped on a bus for Stanley Market. From the map I'd thought the distance might have been walkable...definitely not. As before, we left at a stop that looked correct, if not entirely so. The sign said "Stanley Plaza" and it looked like a normal shopping center. However, we figured Stanley Market must be nearby now--why not step inside the air conditioning? Besides, I spied escalators I needed to ride.

Then, by some amazing amazingness it turns out we were in EXACTLY the right location. I peeked over a railing and...the Murray House with the Maritime Museum inside! And the Taoist temple (possibly the one honoring Tin Hau, goddess of the sea, but possibly not)! And a large friendly arrow with "Stanley Market" written across it!

I think this building used to be a store, but a sign in the window mentioned a closing sale so it probably isn't any more.

I've gotten very good at noticing the "No Photo" signs as I'm leaving. Sigh...
And yes, of course tigers eat Ritz crackers!

The Murray House, according to guide books, used to be an important British military building.
Now rich people dine there.
And ordinary people visit the Hong Kong Maritime Museum.

The museum was smaller than I'd thought (...so that's why it only cost 10 HKD...) but filled with, well, a variety of stuff requiring a range of adjectives. I checked the signs on the sliding doors before entering, and sure enough...

List of Objects I Couldn't Photograph:
  • Intricate models of ships
  • Some of them carved out of shells
  • Creepy masks
  • An old British advertisement for tea
  • Pieces of a dragon boat
  • A large scroll documenting a pirate attack (and neglecting the Portuguese forces who saved the day)
  • Out-dated submarine gear
Here's a pier on the way from the Murray House to Stanley Market. I love that the roof fits matches the mountains.


I didn't/couldn't take many pictures of the markets, but it was AWESOME.
Tourists flock here, but most of the stuff was still cheap and fun to browse through.
Chopsticks, jewelry, kimonos, coin purses, shoes, paintings, statuettes, sandlewood fans, pillowcases, lanterns, calligraphy, Christmas ornaments, cell phone charms, parasols, silk scarves, swords, T-shirts, fancy dresses and a very fat cat (not for sale).

After we might have seen everything (there were so many intersecting streets, we must have missed something) we returned to the street with food.

We returned home with a few hours before bed. I talked with my roommate for a bit (about the concert she went to; the floormate who props the bathroom door open--her hands may be clean, but her heart is dirty; and Japan) before falling asleep.

I went on another adventure today, but I'll need to write about that tomorrow.

No comments: