Tuesday, September 2, 2008

23:26 and falling asleep...

Today was filled with mystery classes. The schedule I printed shows course numbers, but not names, and with all the craziness of preapproval of credit forms and registration I'd forgotten what I'd actually signed up for.

Turns out, International Trade. With about six other exchange students; the professor made each of us stand up and introduce ourselves (but not the local students, so we don't know them). The class will probably be alright, I'm just not thrilled about a final that counts for 50% of our grade, or writing a final paper with a group.

Then I had one minute to walk ten steps to my next class, Economics of the Law and Public Policy. I think I'll like this class more and the professor left a good impression (he lectured while sitting on a desk and was more concerned about providing an interesting introduction to the topic than a rundown of procedures and gradings. although I like those too).

Unfortunately, I ended up going to the canteen at an atrocious time, the line twirled around in a long twisted up knot. Fortunately, Rachel ordered from me, so I didn't have to disrupt the flow by bringing the cashier to the menu.

I didn't have my first afternoon class (I think it's Environmental Economics) because tutorials don't usually meet for the first week. So in my new-found extra hour I went to the bank to deposit some more traveler's checks. A new background tune! At least for the first half hour, then it switched back to the one I was used to.

I finished the day with Mandarin, but again learned very little (this time because we spent an hour and a half discussing arrangements for adding a second section of the class). I can now say Lingnan University, barbecue goose, and goose liver. The teacher went on about French people LOVING goose liver while the French exchange students looked confused and mildly disgusted.

Actually, I had barbecue for dinner, but pork, not goose. I wish I hadn't, because the meat had more fat than anything else. Well, now I know. I spent a long time at dinner, mostly because no one at our table had anything better to do. Eventually we decided to find some ice cream, which we did at the Happy Pig (a candy shop) at Fu Tai. Nothing extraordinary (no red bean anything) but I guess there's nothing wrong with an old favorite. Especially when the old favorite is chocolate.

No comments: