Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"How are you?" "I'm fine, thank you. And you?"

More Mandarin lessons today! Yay! I like learning the characters best because they're pretty (well, when the teacher writes them) and afterwards I can spot them around campus. For instance, if someone went around and scribbled out all the English I could still enter the correct lavatory.

I also learned some more Cantonese at fencing tonight. I suspect I will become very confused with my numbers, because the Cantonese for 2 sounds like the Mandarin for 1. And a friend taught me how to say "yes," "no," and "tired," but she doesn't think I'll remember. It's true, I did forget my name. As I suspected would happen.

My other classes weren't bad either, except for a diagram drawing disaster in International Trade. He passed out copies of the lecture notes to everyone, but left us to replicate the complicated and important graph. So I have a trade triangle that's represented by a scribbly mass, wobbly indifference curves, and several extraneous arrows. Sigh...

P.S. I've updated the post from two days ago--it now includes videos I didn't have the time to upload earlier.

No comments: