Thursday, September 11, 2008

I can't think of a title

Some Korean cultural tidbits (no, I don't remember how we got to this topic from sudoku):
  • Women stay home for a month after giving birth and they must stay warm. No taking showers and no drinking ice water.
  • If the baby is a boy, they hang a string with peppers on it in front of the door and if it's a girl, the string has charcoal. It acts as a charm to keep away ghosts.
  • While pregnant no drinking, no smoking, and no eating chicken bones.
  • The big celebration comes at the baby's first birthday
  • On birthdays they drink a special seaweed soup and eat rice cakes
  • Weddings are a big deal and apparently lots of couples break up because of preparation conflicts
  • If the bride does a poor job preparing the home her in-laws won't like her
  • And her mother-in-law won't like her anyway (according to the soap operas)
  • If a family has two sons, the wife of the older son has seniority over the second son's wife
  • But no one wants to marry the first son because he has to live with his parents
  • The bride's family will tie up the groom's ankles and hit the bottoms of his feet because after the wedding they won't see the bride as much. She becomes part of her husband's family
  • And there's some sort of tradition involving the groom's friends and costumes made of dried squid that I didn't fully understand
Update: I remembered how this all relates to sudoku! Sudoku-->on same page as the horoscope-->birthdays-->"It is better for the mother to have a baby during the winter."-->"Oh, why is that?"

I didn't have class until 6:30pm today, so I spent the morning trying to solve a ridiculously hard sudoku (although it became easier when we started peeking at the solution) and learning about Korea.

After lunch I received this mysterious text message: "U lost some money when u were walking along the river. Where do u think u can find ur money back?"

First thought: Oh no! I lost some money? How did that happen?!
Second thought: And how did this person find my number?
Third thought: Wait--when was I walking along a river? Have I even seen a river since St. Mary's?

Several hours later...Hang on! That message was from a friend! Why didn't the phone display her name?

I reply: "What river?"
Reply to my reply: "Just a river."
And: "D answer is "At the bank" ;)"

I am now severly confused. Fortunately, I run into this friend while heading towards fencing. Oh! It was a joke! Hahahaha! River bank...

Also: I'm on the school fencing team! There aren't enough girls, so we were accepted automatically. And an exchange student from the Mainland joined too, so I'm not the only one who can't understand Cantonese! She told me I reminded her of Meg Ryan, but she needed to pantomime "Sleepless in Seattle" before I figured it out.

Hopefully my brain cells function better tomorrow.

No comments: