Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pig's feet!

I love Fridays.

After class we (I and two other friends also stuck with evening classes) headed off for Mong Kok to meet up with a group already there. We rode the bus--faster, cheaper, and less complicated than the MTR. Also: we sat in the first row of seats on the upper deck!


Like a roller coaster!

During the wait for and on the bus my Korean friends taught me:
  • That they're learning more about North Korea at Lingnan than at home, where doing so is discouraged. The government will think you're a spy.
  • The North Korean refugees in South Korea can't believe their eyes. Their government made them think South Korea had been worse off.
  • Soo Bahk sounds like the word for "watermelon." All those years I thought I'd been learning a martial art...watermelon art...what a disappointment.
  • Not to watch some movie that's boring even though the lead actor is handsome. But I forget the title so hopefully I don't see it accidentally.
  • The word for traitor. So I could point an accusing finger and yell it to our friends who ate dinner without us.
We got off the bus at the Ladies' Market, but we needed to eat first.

The place we chose reminded me of lunch on Monday. The waiter kicked a lady out of a booth, wiped off the table, and brought us steaming cups of water.


I was feeling very brave.

I ate pig's feet (and I ate them so I could write that). They tasted fine, and probably would have been better if I could have stopped visualizing a pig trotting about. Or gotten over the incredibly-difficult-to-describe texture.

Actually, in Korea they also eat pig's feet, but not in a soup with noodles.


Liers! Reliable sources told me the above photograph is not of Korean food.


For dessert we did not have cake.
We shared coconut milk with small, round, jelly bits (?) and a custard filled bun.


We bought the bun from this bakery selling the cutest tuna fish buns.
But not cute enough to make me choose tuna over custard.


We found the Goldfish Market!
Store after store selling (live!) fish.


Not a goldfish.

Along the same street were a series of pet stores filled with kittens and puppies! In huge glass display cases! We couldn't just walk past... (although if they hadn't been behind glass I probably would have). Ahh--so cute!



The website's being annoying and not letting me rotate this video.
So just turn your head or flip the computer on its side.



After we'd had our fill of cuteness (if that's even possible) we continued on our journey to reunite ourselves with the group of traitors. Along the way I saw:


a VERY wide crosswalk,


a group of people absorbed in a game,



mesmerizing signs,


and lots of streets like this one.

We found our friends in a shoe store (one of the many lining both sides of a long street).
So we looked at shoes for awhile.

And then we wandered through one of the markets--the one I'd been to on my last trip to Mong Kok, but more exciting at night.

At this point we wanted to head back to the University, but we couldn't find the bus stop for 67X.
So after some walking and more walking and waiting and walking and waiting (that I didn't really mind because we were walking through a city and I love walking through cities) we found our bus. And arrived at Lingnan. And slept.

Yes, those are drawings of Albert Einstein on that billboard.

No comments: