Friday, December 5, 2008

I hoped a title would have materialized by now...but no.

Yesterday (Thursday) I finally drank my bottled milk! It tasted particularly delicious because a) it wasn't soy milk b) it wasn't reduced-fat and c) it came in a glass bottle. The bottle requested that I Please Rinse And Return Emptied. Ummm...No way. I guess I should rinse it though...



Also: here are some of the ten-dollar coins that I thought I'd already photographed until I heard otherwise. I like them the best, although the two dollar coins with wavy edges come close. And the ten cent coins are cool because Queen Elizabeth II gets older and then transforms into a bauhinia flower.


I forgot to write earlier that the best part of Wednesday's movie was the detailed references to Hong Kong! "The Kowloon side, not the Hong Kong Island side..." Everyone perked up; we know where Kowloon is! "...the Peninsula..." We know what the Peninsula looks like! (and so do you! I took a photo of the fountain outside it while trying to cross the road to the art museum) "...to some island" "Lantau Island" "To see some Buddha statue at some monastery." We know! We know! A-mazing.

Yesterday's movie was The Holiday, which I'd seen in theaters a couple of years ago (remember, Grandma?) A friend and I waited nearly an hour for everyone to show up, but it was okay because there's a couch in the lobby next to a bookcaseful of books (we couldn't wait in the common room because people were playing Monopoly). For the past few months I've been reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland a couple of pages at a time--but yesterday I made it all the way from the caucus race to croquet with the Queen of Hearts!

Earlier in the day I mostly studied, with a break for fish ball soup. This time I correctly mixed the chili sauce with the sweet (not soy) sauce. And: I ate outside! That's right! I didn't even need my cardigan! Also: it hasn't rained in weeks and weeks! Alright, okay, enough exclamation points.

Wait--I forgot to mention the carolers! The Christian choir stood outside the hostel and sang Christmas songs in English and Cantonese. I always love hearing familiar songs in other languages. And I love hearing Christmas carols. And I love random surprises. So: awesome all around.

No comments: